No. 21 UC IRVINE (3-0) vs. CALIFORNIA (3-0)
CICERONE FIELD – ANTEATER BALLPARK
Game 4: RHP Andrew Thurman (1-0) vs. LHP Justin Jones (0-0)
6:30 PM - Internet Only/Tim Becwar
Game 5: LHP Matt Whitehouse (1-0) vs. LHP Kyle Porter (0-0)
12:00 PM - KUCI 88.9 FM/Tim Becwar
Game 6: RHP Kyle Hooper (0-0) vs. TBA
3:00 PM - Internet Only/Tim Becwar
Game 7: TBA vs. LHP Michael Thefanopolous (0-0)
Internet Only/Tim Becwar
Game Notes: UC Irvine climbed to 21st, 25th and 27th in the polls (Collegiate Baseball, Baseball America, NCBWA) after sweeping the series against Baylor last weekend.
- Andrew Thurman has been named a CollegeBaseballInsider.com preseason first-team All-American.
- Matt Whitehouse was named the Big West Pitcher of the Week after pitching 6.1 innings in a combined shutout. Whitehouse, coming off a redshirt year in 2012, struck out six, walked one and limited then-No. 23 Baylor to just two hits in the win.
- Race Parmenter locked down his first save after pitching a scoreless ninth inning Friday. The senior righty struck out the first two batters he faced before giving up a double and a walk. However, Parmenter induced a grounder to Taylor Sparks to snuff out Baylor's rally.
- Kyle Hooper, also coming off a redshirt year in 2012, entered in relief for Whitehouse Saturday. The right-hander struck out the first two batters he saw and went on to log 2.2 shutout innings. Hooper struck out four and faced three over the minimum, allowing just a lone hit.
- UCI set an Anteater Ballpark single-inning record with 11 runs in the fifth inning against Baylor Sunday. The previous mark had been nine runs against UC Davis in 2007.
- The Anteaters scored 14 runs in the middle innings against the Bears
- Connor Spencer had a solid opening weekend, batting .545 to top the starters. Spencer, playing first and serving as the team's DH, had six hits, including two doubles and two RBI. Spencer doubled and scored UCI's eventual game-winning run to clinch the series Saturday.
- Taylor Sparks' momentum from a banner summer carried into the fall and the opening series for UCI. The third baseman had five RBI on four hits and stroked his first home run of the year, a solo shot that would trim Baylor's lead to one in the series finale.
- Jerry McClanahan also knocked a ball out of the yard, hitting a three-run home run by crushing a first-pitch offering over the left-field wall. Starting in all three games, McClanahan was 3 for 10 with four RBI and two runs scored.
- Ronnie Shaeffer tied for the team-high with six hits in three starts. Spending the majority of his time behind the plate last year, Shaeffer started at first base Saturday. The senior bookended the weekend with three hits in both the opening game and series finale and posted an RBI in all three games. Shaeffer hit .462 and scored twice to go along with a double.
DIVISION I DEBUTS
- Transfer Dominique Taylor (Salt Lake CC) announced his arrival on the DI stage by driving in seven runs. Making solid plays in centerfield, Taylor had four hits, two for extra bases, and drove in the tying and go-ahead runs in the series opener. Taylor is batting .364 and displayed some speed on the base paths with two steals.
- Andrew Morales, a transfer from Rio Hondo Community College, made two appearances in relief for the Anteaters. Entering in relief for Thurman, Morales retired the first two batters he faced before facing a two-out, two on situation. Morales allowed a three-run home run which cut UCI's lead to two at 6-4. The righty was called again Sunday and logged two scoreless innings, striking out two and walking one while scattering three hits.
- Elliott Surrey, a southpaw out of Crescenta Valley High School, served as set-up man for Parmenter. Surrey relieved Morales with two outs in the seventh and set down four straight, striking out one in his first collegiate outing before giving way to Parmenter in the ninth.
- Second baseman Mikey Duarte made the start Sunday for UCI and batted 3 for 4 with an RBI and three runs scored. With UCI trailing 3-2, the freshman sparked the 'Eater offense with a leadoff double and eventually came around to score the game-tying run in UCI's 11-run fifth. In his second at-bat of the inning, Duarte posted his first RBI and scored again before singling and scoring in the sixth.
- Grant Palmer, who transferred from El Camino Community College, was called to pinch-hit for Kris Paulino Saturday and delivered a one-out single to left to capitalize on a Scott Gottschling triple. Palmer also was brought in as a defensive replacement Sunday in the outfield.
- Jordan Morrison, a prep out of Arroyo Grande High School, was also a defensive replacement and spelled Duarte at second base.
- Redshirt freshman Jonathan Munoz (Diamond Bar HS), pinch hit for Jeff Stephens Sunday in his first collegiate game.
ANTEATERS REACH INTO DEEP BULLPEN
- Jimmy Litchfield, Sam Moore and Andy Lines each delivered a shutout inning Sunday against the Bears.
- In the top of the seventh, Litchfield allowed a leadoff single but then induced three fly-ball outs.
- Sam Moore induced a pair of groundouts before striking out one.
- Andy Lines opened the ninth with a pair of strikeouts. After giving up a pair of singles, Lines ended the inning with a fly-ball to right-field.
COMING OUT SWINGING
- In the opening weekend, the Anteaters out-scored Baylor 26-7. Twenty-one of those runs came with two outs.
MORE BEARS INVADE ANTEATER BALLPARK
- The California Golden Bears come to Cicerone Field this weekend for four games.
- The Bears are 3-0 after sweeping Michigan and play Stanford in a mid-week contest before making the trek down to Southern California.
- DH Devon Rodriguez was the heavy hitter for Cal, hitting .583 with four RBI on seven hits, including a double.
- Catcher Andrew Knapp also had multiple runs batted in, driving in four on five hits, including a home run.
- Pitchers Logan Scott, Ryan Mason and Trevor Hildenberger all collected wins in relief over the weekend.
- UCI leads the series 16-12. The two teams last met in 2007 with the Bears winning two of three at home.