UC Irvine (1-0) at #13 UCLA (1-0)
Progressive Legends Classic Regional Game
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 – 8:30 p.m.
New Pauley Pavilion (13,800) – Los Angeles, Calif.
Series Record: UCLA leads 7-2
Last Meeting: UCLA won 89-60 (12/20/11 in Los Angeles)
Radio: KUCI/88.9 FM (Mark Roberts, 19th Season, & Steve Henkle)
TV: Pac-12 Networks (Ted Robinson & Don MacLean)
Listen Live / Live Stats
UC IRVINE, UCLA MEET FOR 10TH TIME
● UC Irvine, coming off a season-opening, 78-64 win over Nevada Saturday, faces No. 13 UCLA Tuesday night at 8:30 in New Pauley Pavilion in a Progressive Legends Classic Regional game.
● The Bruins, who defeated Indiana State, 86-59, in their season opener last Friday, lead the series with UCI, 7-2.
● This is the third straight year that the teams have met. UCLA topped UCI, 89-60, at the L.A. Sports Arena last season (12/20/11) and edged the 'Eaters, 74-73, at Pauley Dec. 23, 2010.
● UCI's two wins in the series were 80-74 in the 1986 NIT 1st Round at Pauley (3/13/86), and 91-90 at the Bren Center Dec. 28, 1988, on Kevin Floyd's last second layup.
● The Anteaters are 10-34 all-time versus Pac-12 schools, with five of those wins coming on the road. UCI's last victory over a Pac-12 team was 79-63 at No. 13 Stanford Nov. 19, 2005.
SATURDAY'S 78-64 WIN OVER NEVADA
● Senior guard Daman Starring scored a career-high 25 points and added seven rebounds in Saturday night's victory over Nevada. Starring hit all 10 of his free-throw attempts.
● Senior forward Michael Wilder added 12 points and 11 rebounds for his sixth career double-double.
● True freshman point guard Alex Young scored 12 points on 4-of-5 shooting in 21 reserve minutes.
● UCI outrebounded the Wolf Pack, 51-37, and had 21 offensive boards with seven put-backs for baskets.
STARRING NAMED BIG WEST PLAYER OF WEEK
● Senior guard Daman Starring was named the season's first Big West Conference Player of the Week following his career-high 25 points in Saturday's win over Nevada.
● He is the first UCI player to receive the conference's weekly honor since Derick Flowers earned the award last Dec. 31.
● He was also named the Mid-Major National Player of the Week by College Sports Madness.
ON THE HORIZON
● UCI hosts Pacifica University Thursday night at 7:00 in the Bren Center.
● The 'Eaters compete in the Huntsville, Tex., Subregional of the Progressive Legends Classic next Monday through Wednesday (Nov. 19-21).
● UCI opens in Huntsville against Liberty Monday, faces Southern Miss Tuesday, and host Sam Houston State next Wednesday.
UC IRVINE NOTES
● Russell Turner is in his third season as UCI's head coach after previously serving six years on the staff of the NBA's Golden State Warriors.
● Saturday's win over Nevada marked the first win in five years in a season opener for UCI. The last season-opening victory was 74-61 over Loyola Marymount Nov. 9, 2007, in Irvine.
● Five UC Irvine players scored in double figures as the Anteaters defeated Vanguard University, 101-92, in an exhibition game at the Bren Center Nov. 3.
● Senior center Adam Folker led UCI in the exhibition win with 16 points, hitting 6 of 8 shots, and added seven rebounds. Junior guard Chris McNealy had 15 points off the bench, redshirt sophomore John Ryan hit 5 of 5 shots and scored 14 points with a team-high nine boards, senior guard Derick Flowers scored 13 points and freshman center Conor Clifford had 11 points and five rebounds.
LOOKING AT THE BRUINS
● UCLA, which opened the season with an 86-59 win over Indiana State at Pauley Pavilion, is ranked No. 13 in the current A.P. poll.
● Freshman guard Jordan Adams scored a game-high 21 points in the season opener.
● Junior forward Travis Wear scored 17 points while junior David Wear had 13 points and 10 rebounds.
● Ben Howland is in his 10th season as the Bruins' head coach.