UC Irvine (9-9, 3-2) vs. Cal State Fullerton (10-6, 3-1)
Thursday, January 17, 2013 – 8:00 p.m.
Titan Gym (4,000) – Fullerton, Calif.
Series Record: CSF leads 52-43
Last Meeting: UCI won 65-59 (3/8/12 in Anaheim)
Radio: KUCI/88.9 FM (Mark Roberts, 19th Season, & Steve Henkle)
Audio / Video / Live Stats
'EATERS, TITANS MEET FOR 96TH TIME
● Third-year head coach Russell Turner's UC Irvine squad (9-9, 3-2 Big West) faces cross-county rival Cal State Fullerton Thursday night at Titan Gym. This is the first of three consecutive road games for UCI.
● Thursday marks the 96th meeting in the series between the 'Eaters and Titans, with Fullerton leading 52-43. The Titans won both regular-season meetings last year – 92-84 in Irvine (1/21/12) and 100-94 in Fullerton (2/9/12), but UCI prevailed 65-59 in the quarterfinals of the Big West Tournament at the Honda Center (3/8/12).
● Thursday night's game pits the top defensive team in the Big West in UCI (64.1) against the highest-scoring team in Fullerton (83.9).
● UCI's last win in Titan Gym was 65-62 on March 7, 2009. The 'Eaters have lost in their last three trips to Fullerton, each time by six points.
● UCI is coming off a pair of Big West home wins last week – 68-64 over Hawai'i and 79-69 over Cal State Northridge.
● Seniors Adam Folker and Daman Starring led UCI with 14 points each in last Saturday's Homecoming win over Northridge. Sophomore Will Davis II added 13 points, eight rebounds and five blocked shots.
● Senior Michael Wilder and freshman Alex Young each recorded nine assists versus the Matadors, the most by an Anteater player since Daman Starring had 10 against Northridge last season (2/25/12).
● Junior guard Chris McNealy had 15 points, six rebounds, five assists and two steals off the bench to spark UCI in its 68-64 victory over Hawai'i Wednesday.
UC IRVINE NOTES
● As of Monday (of 345 NCAA Division I teams) UCI ranked eighth in the nation in assists per game (17.4), 15th in assist/turnover ratio (1.37) and 17th in field-goal percentage defense (.374).
● UCI ranks first in the Big West Conference in scoring defense (64.1), field-goal percentage defense (.374), three-point field goal percentage defense (.309), assists per game (17.4) and blocked shots per game (4.7).
● UCI is 6-0 this season when holding the opposition to under 60 points and 6-1 when leading at halftime.
● The 'Eaters are 6-1 at home this season with the lone loss coming to LSU, 66-60, Dec. 18.
● Senior Daman Starring is the only UCI player averaging in double figures at 13.5 points per game, leading the team in scoring in nine games this season. He ranks third in the Big West in three-point field goal percentage at .487 on 37 of 76.
● Starring has hit 21 of 37 (.568) threes in the past seven contests. He has averaged 15.5 points over the last six games.
● Starring went 5 of 5 from the field in the second half of Saturday's win over Northridge, including 4 of 4 threes.
● Senior post Adam Folker ranks third in the Big West in field-goal percentage at .569. He is 51 of 81 (.630) from the field in the last 10 games. He is 10th in the league in rebounding at 6.6 boards per game.
● Folker has averaged 12.1 points in the last seven games. He has 530 career rebounds as he recently became the 18th member of the UCI 500-rebound club. His total of 525 currently ranks 16th in the Anteater record book.
● Freshman point guard Alex Young ranks second in the Big West with an assist/turnover ratio of 2.5 on 72 assists and 29 turnovers. He has averaged 12.4 points and 4.8 assists over the last five games.
● Sophomore post Will Davis II ranks second in the Big West in blocked shots with 35 for a 2.1 average per game with a season-high five in three games, including against Northridge last Saturday.
● Senior Michael Wilder has 902 points and 486 rebounds in his UCI career. Twenty previous UCI players have scored 1,000 career points.
● Wilder ranks No. 4 in UCI history with 184 career threes and senior Daman Starring is 10th with 117. Michael Hunter is the school's career leader with 236 threes.
A LOOK AT CAL STATE FULLERTON
● Interim head coach Andy Newman's Titans are 10-6 overall and 3-1 in the Big West following a 71-69 win over UC Riverside last Saturday.
● The Titans have won their last three games and seven of the past eight.
● Seniors D.J. Seeley (19.1) and Kwame Vaughn (18.9) rank 1-2 in the Big West in scoring average. Senior Sammy Yeager is eighth in the league in scoring at 15.3 points per game.
● Seeley tops the conference in steals a 2.4 per game while Yeager is second in three-point field goal percentage (.489).
● Seeley is averaging 22.8 points in league games.