'Eaters Host Pacific Wednesday Night in the Bren
UC Irvine (14-13, 8-6) vs. Pacific (15-10, 9-4)
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 – 7:00 p.m.
Bren Events Center (5,000) – Irvine, Calif.
Series Record: Pacific leads 40-36
Last Meeting: Pacific won 72-64 (2/4/12 in Irvine)
Radio: KUCI/88.9 FM (Mark Roberts, 19th Season, & Steve Henkle)
Audio / Video / Live Stats
'EATERS HOST TIGERS WEDNESDAY NIGHT
● Third-year head coach Russell Turner's UC Irvine squad (14-13, 8-6 Big West) hosts Pacific Wednesday night in the first meeting of the season between the teams. UCI, coming off an 86-66 win over Cal State Fullerton last Saturday, is 10-1 at home this season, including 7-0 in Big West games.
● Pacific is making its final trip to the Bren Center as a member of the Big West, as the Tigers are moving to the West Coast Conference July 1. Wednesday marks the 77th meeting in the series with Pacific leading 40-36. The teams each won on the other's home floor last season with UCI prevailing 73-69 in Stockton and Pacific claiming a 72-64 victory in the Bren Center.
● UCI has won four of its last six games, including wins over UC Riverside (52-48) and Cal State Fullerton (86-66) last week.
● In Saturday night's victory over Cal State Fullerton, senior guard Daman Starring scored 21 points to lead four UC Irvine players in double figures. Starring hit a career-high seven threes. Senior post Adam Folker scored 18 points, hitting 9 of 10 shots. Freshman point guard Alex Young had 16 points and seven assists while sophomore post Will Davis II had 10 points, 11 rebounds and five blocked shots as he recorded his second double-double of the season and fourth of his career. Junior Chris McNealy had 10 rebounds and added seven points.
● UCI drew UT Arlington in the Ramada Worldwide BracketBusters and will face the Mavericks Saturday at 5:00 p.m. (CST) at the College Park Center in Arlington, Tex. This will be the first meeting between the schools.
● UT Arlington is 14-9 overall and 9-5 in the WAC, winning its last four games and six of the past seven. The Mavericks host UT Pan American in a non-conference game Wednesday night.
UC IRVINE NOTES
● UCI's 8-6 Big West record is the program's best after 14 games since the 2007-08 team had a similar mark.
● UCI is 8-0 this season when holding the opposition to under 60 points and 10-3 when leading at halftime. UCI is 9-5 this season when the opponents have shot below 40 percent from the field and 8-4 when outrebounding its opponent.
● The lineup of Alex Young, Daman Starring, Michael Wilder, Adam Folker and Will Davis II has started 16 games this season, including the last 12. The 'Eaters are 10-6 overall with that starting unit, 7-5 in league games.
● As of Monday, UCI ranked 19th in the nation in field-goal percentage defense (.383) and in in assists per game (16.1), and 30th in assist/turnover ratio (1.27).
● Alex Young ranks 12th in the nation in assist/turnover ratio at 2.76 and Will Davis II is 35th in blocked shots at 2.27 per game.
● Will Davis II, with 59 blocked shots this season, has established a new single-season school record, breaking the previous mark of 55 he set last season.
● Alex Young, with 113 assists this season, has the most assists in a season by a UCI player since Aaron Fitzgerald had 190 in 2005-06.
● Senior Daman Starring is the only UCI player averaging in double figures at 13.5 points per game, leading the team in scoring in 12 games this season and recording six 20-point games, including Saturday night when he scored a game-high 21 in the win over Fullerton.
● Starring has 953 points in 91 career games at UCI.
● Senior post Adam Folker has 577 career rebounds to rank 14th in the Anteater record book.
● Senior Michael Wilder has 976 points and 536 rebounds in his UCI career. His 536 career boards rank 16th in Anteater history. Fifteen previous UCI players have scored 1,000 points and grabbed 500 rebounds in their careers.
● Wilder is tied with Jeff Herdman (1987-91) for third in UCI history with 201 career threes and Daman Starring is eighth with 138. Michael Hunter (2006-10) is the school's career leader with 236 threes.
● For all games, UCI ranks first in the Big West Conference in field-goal percentage defense (.383), three-point field goal percentage defense (.326), scoring margin (+4.5), rebounds per game (39.2), assists per game (16.1) and blocked shots per game (4.5).
● Individually for all games, Will Davis II leads the Big West in blocked shots per game (2.27) and Alex Young is first in assist/turnover ratio (2.76) and third in assists per game (4.2). Adam Folker is second in field-goal percentage (.571) and seventh in offensive rebounds per game (2.6). Daman Starring is third in three-point field goal percentage (.443), fifth in three-point field goals made per game (2.3) and eighth in free-throw percentage (.773).
● In conference games only, Davis is first in blocked shots per game (2.4) and Young is first in assist/turnover ratio (3.0) and third in assists (4.6). Adam Folker is fourth in field-goal percentage (.587) and in offensive rebounds per game (2.9).
DEFEND THE BREN
● The Bren Events Center on the UCI campus marked its 26th anniversary in January. The center opened Jan. 8, 1987, when the 'Eaters defeated Utah State, 118-96, on the strength of 43 points by Scott Brooks. Brooks is head coach of the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder and the 2010 NBA Coach of the Year.
● UCI is 203-145 all-time at the Bren Center. The 'Eaters are 122-48 (.718) in the Bren dating back to February 2000. UCI is 10-1 at home this season, including 7-0 in league games.
ON THIS DATE
● Twenty-five years ago on Feb. 20, 1988, UCI defeated Pacific, 85-81, in the Bren Center.
● Wayne Engelstad led the 'Eaters with 19 points and nine rebounds, Mike Hess scored 18 points, and Frank Woods and Kevin Floyd 13 each. UCI shot 54 percent from the field in the victory.
● Christian Gray led Pacific with 27 points and 10 rebounds.
A LOOK AT PACIFIC
● Bob Thomason is in his 25th and final season as head coach at Pacific. His Tigers are 15-10 overall and 9-4 in the Big West this season, winning their last two games and six of the past eight. The Tigers currently sit in second place in the Big West.
● Senior guard Lorenzo McCloud leads Pacific in scoring at 11.5 points per game and he ranks fifth in the Big West with an average of 4.0 assists per game.
● Senior forward Travis Fulton leads the team in rebounding at 3.8 boards per game and he is second in scoring at 9.1 points per contest.
● UCI and Pacific meet again Mar. 7 in Stockton.