UCI Drops Finale in Hawaii, 6-1, to Sacramento State
HONOLULU, Hawaii --- The Anteaters came up short in the final match of their weekend to the Sacramento State Hornets, 6-1, Saturday afternoon at the UH Tennis Complex on the campus of the University of Hawaii.
Tyler Pham and Jonathan Poon scored a big doubles victory at the No. 2 position. The No. 3 pair of Justin Agbayani and Reo Asami nearly stole the point, but fell in an epic tiebreaker to concede the doubles point to the Hornets.
In singles play, Reo Asami was finally bested for the first time as Hornet stalwart Aliaksandr Malko proved too tough a test. Ryan Cheung delivered the sole point on the afternoon with a straight set victory in the No. 3 position.
Tyler Pham nearly reversed an opening-set loss falling just short in the third set. Justin Agbayani nearly did the same in his singles debut which included an impressive 6-0 second set.
UCI returns to the mainland now 0-3 overall and 0-1 in Big West play. It takes a week off before traveling to No. 2 USC on Tues. Jan. 29th for a 4:30 p.m. match.
Jan 19, 2013 at Honolulu, Hawaii
(UH Tennis Complex)
Sacramento State 6, UC Irvine 1
1. Marek Marksoo (SAC) def. Tyler Pham (UCI) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
2. Aliaksandr Malko (SAC) def. Reo Asami (UCI) 6-1, 6-0
3. Ryan Cheung (UCI) def. Sean Kolar (SAC) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Roy Brandys (SAC) def. Jonathan Poon (UCI) 6-2, 6-4
5. Tom Miller (SAC) def. Caryl Hernandez (UCI) 6-2, 6-0
6. Niranjan Ram (SAC) def. Justin Agbayani (UCI) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
1. MALKO/MARKSOO (SAC) def. CHEUNG /HAMMEL (UCI) 8-6
2. PHAM/POON (UCI) def. KOLAR/MILLER (SAC) 8-6
3. BRANDYS/RAM (SAC) def. AGBAYANI/ASAMI (UCI) 8-7 (10-8)
UC Irvine 0-3, 0-1
Sacramento State 1-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,5,3,6,1)