UCI Topples No. 70 Fresno State for First Win
IRVINE, Calif. --- The Anteaters scored its first win in a big way knocking off No. 70 Fresno State Sunday afternoon, 5-2, at the Racquet Club in Irvine.
UCI (1-5, 0-1) continues its clutch doubles play with a its second sweep in as many days with scores of 8-4, 8-2, and 8-1.
The 'Eaters continued to dominate in singles after a slight lineup change. Tyler Pham produced his first singles win as the No. 2 on Sunday outlasting Sai Kartik Nakireddi in three sets. Fellow freshman Jonathan Hammel joined Pham in getting his first UCI win in three sets as the No. 4. Shuhei Shibahara and Jacob Jung each busted out for their first wins of the season to get UCI its five necessary points and its first win of the season.
The 'Eaters look to expand their win streak with a trip to the Midwest this week. UCI will play at Wisconsin on Fri. Feb. 8th at 1:00 p.m. followed by a trip to Illinois to play DePaul on Saturday at 3:30 p.m.
UC IRVINE 5, #70 FRESNO STATE 2
Sunday, February 3, 2013
Irvine, Calif. - Racquet Club of Irvine
1) Cheung/Jung (UCI) def. deLaubenfels/Kartik Nakireddi (FS) -- 8-4
2) Hammel/Shibahara (UCI) def. MacNeil/Quiroz (FS) -- 8-1
3) Pham/Poon (UCI) def. Fritz/Papic (FS) -- 8-2
UC Irvine wins the doubles point
1) Reid deLaubenfels (FS) def. Ryan Cheung (UCI) -- 6-0, 6-4
2) Tyler Pham (UCI) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) -- 7-6, 3-6, 6-1
3) Jacob Jung (UCI) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) -- 7-6, 6-1
4) Jonathan Hammel (UCI) def. Nikolas Papic (FS) -- 6-2, 2-6, 7-6
5) Felipe Fritz (FS) def. Caryl Hernandez (UCI) -- 7-6, 0-6, 7-6
6) Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) -- 6-1, 6-2