LAS VEGAS, Nev. --- The Anteaters fought back valiantly at No. 68 UNLV, but fell, 5-2, to finish up their rain-drenched weekend.
Hammel and Shibahara would each redeem themselves in singles, however, with wins. Shibahara dropped Charlie Alvarado in straight sets to close the gap to 2-1. UNLV would run off two more points to earn the win before Hammel could finish up his three-set win with the match finishing 5-2.
UCI (2-11, 0-1) got in one match on the weekend, and now returns home to host Utah on Wednesday, March 13th for a 10:00 a.m. match as part of a doubleheader with the women's squad.
UC Irvine vs UNLV
March 9, 2013 at Las Vegas, NV
(Fertitta Tennis Complex)
#68 UNLV 5, UC Irvine 2
1. Ace Matias (UNLV) def. Ryan Cheung (UCI) 6-2, 6-1
2. Tamas Batyi (UNLV) def. Tyler Pham (UCI) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Gilad Berman (UNLV) def. Jacob Jung (UCI) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
4. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) def. Charlie Alvarado (UNLV) 6-2, 7-5
5. Jonathan Hammel (UCI) def. Bernard Schoeman (UNLV) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
6. Johannes Markel (UNLV) def. Jonathan Poon (UCI) 6-7, 6-0, 6-2
1. Ace Matias/Bernard Schoeman (UNLV) def. Ryan Cheung/Jacob Jung (UCI) 8-4
2. Tamas Batyi/Johannes Markel (UNLV) def. Shuhei Shibahara/Jonathan Hammel (UCI) 8-5
3. Caryl Hernandez/Tyler Pham (UCI) def. Carlos Di Laura/Charlie Alvarado (UNLV) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,4,6,2,5,3)