IRVINE, Calif. --- Coming off a loss in which the 'Eaters gave up an early lead, UCI men's tennis avenged losing the doubles point this time to earn its third win of the season Thursday afternoon at Anteater Tennis Stadium.
The visiting Bulldogs of Gonzaga staged a minor comeback in doubles. Tyler Pham and Jacob Jung scored a win in doubles, but Gonzaga's Nos. 1 and 3 each rebounded to win and earn the doubles point for Gonzaga.
UCI (3-12, 0-1) started off singles well with wins in five of the six first sets. Pham and Jung followed suit from doubles to take their singles matches in straight sets and give UCI the brief 2-1 lead.
Ryan Cheung was unable to hold his first-set advantage falling in three sets tying the match back up at 2-2.
The remaining matches all went into a third set with Caryl Hernandez breaking the tie with a come-from-behind victory, his first as an Anteater.
After Gonzaga tied it back up, Jonathan Hammel stepped up to put them away which included a marvelous forehand, cross-court slice to propel him for the clinching point.
UCI ends its four-match losing streak to go to 3-12 overall and 3-2 at home this season. UCI will next tackle a tough doubleheader on Saturday as two ranked opponents invade Anteater Tennis Stadium. No. 45 George Washington starts it off at 9:00 a.m. with the 35th-ranked MTSU Blue Raiders stepping in at 1:30 p.m.
UC IRVINE 4, GONZAGA 3
March 14, 2013
Irvine, Calif. – Anteater Tennis Stadium
1) Jamin/Mijatovic (GONZ) def. Cheung/Hammel (UCI) – 9-7
2) Jung/Pham (UCI) def. Smith/Varas (GONZ) – 8-6
3) Nazal/Perez (GONZ) def. Agbayani/Hernandez (UCI) – 9-8 (6)
Gonzaga wins the doubles point
1) Alvaro Nazal (GONZ) def. Ryan Cheung (UCI) – 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
2) Jacob Jung (UCI) def. Olivier Jamin (GONZ) – 6-4, 6-1
3) Tyler Pham (UCI) def. Levin Guillermo (GONZ) – 6-2, 6-1
4) Jonathan Hammel (UCI) def. Hayden Smith (GONZ) – 7-6, 2-6, 6-2
5) Vladimir Mijatovic (GONZ) def. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) – 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
6) Caryl Hernandez (UCI) def. Vicente Varas (GONZ) – 5-7, 6-1, 6-3