SANTA BARBARA, Calif. --- UCI men's tennis has turned it on since starting conference play winning its second straight by the score of 5-2 over UCSB Sunday afternoon.
The 'Eaters brought home the doubles point with quick wins from the pairs of Cheung/Hammel and Agbayani/Hernandez to give UCI (5-15, 2-1) the early lead.
UC Irvine jumped out to a 3-0 lead with wins by Jacob Jung and Jonathan Hammel in straight sets. Tyler Pham and Justin Agbayani fell in straight sets as UCSB (8-9, 1-1) closed the gap to one. Reo Asami would finish the match off with a big 6-3, 6-4 win over Axel Bouillin to snap his seven-match win streak.
Ryan Cheung broke out of a slump to earn the fifth and final point on the afternoon for the Anteaters.
UCI rises to 2-1 in Big West play now putting them in sole possession of third place. The Anteaters will head back out of conference next with a trip to San Diego State on Fri. Apr. 12th for a 1:00 p.m. match.
UC Irvine 5, UCSB 2
1. Cheung/Hammel (UCI) def. Ndimande/Sultan (UCSB) 8-2
2. Recknagel/Bouillin (UCSB) def. Jung/Pham (UCI) 8-7 (12)
3. Agbayani/Hernandez (UCI) def. Riminton/Gryaznov (UCSB) 8-6
1. Ryan Cheung (UCI) def. Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
2. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Tyler Pham (UCI) 6-2, 6-2
3. Reo Asami (UCI) def. Axel Bouillin (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
4. Jacob Jung (UCI) def. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) 6-1, 6-2
5. Jonathan Hammel (UCI) def. Sasha Gryaznov (UCSB) 6-0, 6-3
6. Andrew Riminton (UCSB) def. Justin Agbayani (UCI) 6-2, 6-3
UCI: 5-15; Big West 2-1
UCSB: 8-9; Big West 1-1
Order of finish: Doubles - 1, 3, 2 | Singles - 4, 5, 2, 6, 3, 1